Stephen Hawking, a theoretical physicist, cosmologist, director and author of research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology within the University of Cambridge.
An author of physics concept, a bestseller book, “A Brief History of Time”.
Interesting and cool facts that you didn’t know about him:
- Stephen hawking never received a Nobel Prize in his life in spite of so many successful theories he invented.
- The day 8th January 1944 when he born was the 300th anniversary of Galileo’s death, a great scientist of his time known as “the father of modern science”.
- In spite of him not being a very good student in school, he was called as “Einstein” and his teachers knew he will become a great scientist in future. However, his dad was worried about his marks because he wanted him to join Oxford University, in which Stephen nailed the physics exams and got a
- He was setting apart from college and was unhappy in his first year of his college. So, he decided to join the rowing team of the college. However, he was not one of the rowing members in the boat but a controller of steering and stroke rate.
- He suffered from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) in which control over voluntary muscles is lost. After diagnosis, doctors said that Stephen will live only a few more years. This news shocked him and his family as he was just 21 years old and his life was in danger.
- One of the Stephen’s greatest achievement was the theory that the universe has no boundaries. To explain this theory, hawking tells people to think that the universe is like the surface of the earth, you can go in any direction but never find the corner as earth is a sphere. The only difference between earth and universe is that earth is 2 dimensional whereas universe is 4 dimensional.
- Hawking lost a bet against his fellow scientist, John Preskill, about the theory of black holes. According to Hawking, black holes radiate energy. However, his theory became wrong and he admitted.
- He is also an author of Children’s book named George’s Secret key to the Universe. Book is a fiction story of a boy, George, who enter into space. The main aim is to make children understand the theory related to space in an easy way so that children take interest and get knowledge about the outer space.
- He believes in the existence of Aliens. In an episode “Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking” on the Discovery channel, he said that aliens might use their resources to conquer every planet that comes in their way or they use some type of system that focuses all the energy of the sun at one point to create wormholes to travel through space-time
Cool enough? 😀